Wednesday 12 February 2014

Leggings are unisex!

Yesterday was the first time I wore leggings. I think all clothes are/should be unisex, and I just wear what I find stylish. Ironically, these leggings were BOY London—coincidentally designed/made for men. Still, this didn't distract from the fact they were leggings, and I knew they had the potential to cause controversy (another advantage of re-defining clothes as unisex!).

It didn't take long for somebody to get bothered by the way I was dressed. A lady on the bus said to me "Why are you wearing leggings, you're a boy?", to which I replied "Why does how I dress affect you?", and put my headphones in. I didn't say much as it was too early for an argument. 10 seconds later I hear a woman storming downstairs on the bus... "You can't talk about how he's dressed, you look like a mess love!" I heard her shout at the woman who was rude to me. They continued to have an argument for a couple of minutes, which was fun. It was ironic how the angry woman was more bothered about it than me.
the outfit i was wearing. taken from my instagram. follow me @leonmcgann if you like!
Something else I realised was how comfortable they are! I now know why some people wear them year round. They almost outweighed the discomfort I was getting from my un-broken-in Docs. Several people complimented me and a few people asked me where they were from (2 were people I'd never spoken to before) so I'd say I was successful in my goal.

The only problem I have with them is that they show your bulge REALLY easily. I had to go through a bunch of t-shirts and shirts to find one that covered that area; I feel super uncomfortable with an obvious bulge. However, I can understand that some straight guys would wear these like jogging bottoms and not mind their bulge showing... once they got over the fact they were wearing leggings.

No comments :

Post a Comment