Wednesday 23 April 2014

Electronic scanning of bus passes?!

Since I started college after easter break, buses have been much stricter for some reason! Arriva buses, who I have always preferred for their chilled out attitude, have suddenly been checking by bus ticket 10 times closer than usual. First buses wouldn't let me use my arriva ticket on them (I don't make it a habit, as I usually use my metro ticket), and now they've started using scanner machines!

If you've never used one of these before, let me tell you.. they are terrible! I'm not sure why some companies are choosing to use them. It's so frustrating, I wasn't even warned I would have to start scanning it, one day my bus driver was just like "scan your pass!". Let's talk about the advantages and disadvantages. Play fair.

Advantages:
Fraudulent tickets will no longer be a problem
Bus drivers/passengers who don't speak English won't have to communicate so much (maybe)
Disadvantages:
Takes longer than just showing your ticket
Sometimes the machine doesn't work, and you have to scan your ticket multiple times
Inconsistencies between bus companies and drivers.

Overall, I don't think it's a terrible idea (ok I do) BUT, I think they should just use the old method of quickly looking at bus passes, and only make someone scan it if they think it might be fraudulent.

I complain about public transport too much.

No comments :

Post a Comment