Wednesday 25 June 2014

Lana Del Rey: WHERE IS YOUR COMPASSION?!

Lana Del Rey with a fan in Paris
earlier this week.
Lana Del Rey, once quoted as saying "I already have everything I want", has once again hit headlines for a recent interview in which she was hauled into saying she wishes she was dead. If you're a Lana fan, a tumblr user, or into pop culture; you've probably already heard the story. I'm here to go back to the basics, give the true story, get done with all this politically-correct sh*t, and talk about the fact that Lana has said she wants to die.
Firstly, let's get into what was REALLY said. I know the sound recording has been posted, but many people have misheard or misinterpret it.

Interviewer: Why do you think so many of your icons are kinda... doomed? Well, a lot of them have died young
Lana: Yeah. I don't know. I don't know why they've died young.
Interviewer: Ok, is it something you see as glamorous or attractive?
Lana:I mean, they're definitely my favourite singers, like Kurt Cobain, and I mean he was a bit older, but Elvis or things like that. But, I think it's more to do with the music. A lot of it has to do with their story. But the fact that they ended up dying young, I mean, Amy would be my number 1 whether she was here or not. I think it's more about their personalities. But I mean, they're everyone's favourite's aren't they. Janice, huge huge, Jimmy Hendrix, huge, huge, so I mean, yeah.
Interviewer: And is it something you would see as glamorous in yourself? That's quite a dark question to ask, but like, do you see like, is there like a fantasy of dying young yourself that you subscribe to? [WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU ASK SOMEONE THIS?!]
Lana: Um, yeah, I mean, you know. I wish I was dead already.
Interviewer: Don't say that!
Lana: I do, I do, yeah I do. I don't wanna have to keep doing this, but I am. Everything. Everything. I mean, that's just how I feel. If it wasn't that way I wouldn't say it. But I mean, I think I'd be scared if I knew it was happening or if I knew it was coming.
Interviewer: What about tonight when you go play in front of all those people? Do you not think... I love this so much, I don't want this to stop?
Lana: No, I don't know.

Many people interpret the final 'yeah' on Lana's second reply as her saying "yes its glamorous to die young", but most likely she was just finishing off her sentence. I'm sure anybody who has ever done a speech realises it's natural so say 'yeah' at the end, because you're not sure how else to end it! Also, Lana was clearly uncomfortable throughout the whole interview. It was clearly inappropriate and inconsiderate of her to say she would see it glamorous if she died young. In my opinion, an interviewer shouldn't ask a question they wouldn't ask a friend. Would you ask a friend if they thought it would be glamorous to die young? I think not.
Lana Del Rey for Fader magazine

Instead of focusing on a slightly inappropriate comment, PLEASE can we focus on the fact a 27 year old woman wants to die?! WHERE IS YOUR COMPASSION!?!?!? Who gives a f*ck that she said an unthoughtful comment, when less than a minute later she announced that she doesn't want to keep doing 'everything' anymore? Why does nobody seem to care that she doesn't enjoy her job/lifestyle?

Lana Del Rey recently said to Fader magazine that she's been sick with a medical anomaly for over 2 years, which doctors can't figure out. She says the illness is a big part of her life and that she feels really sick a lot of the time, and can't understand why. Will we hear anything of this by the press? Probably not.

paparazzi video from Monday shows how quickly she can put on a smile for fans/the camera. Lana has also previously said "I already have everything I want" when being interviewed about what she wants in the future. Judging from what we know about Lana's life, through her interviewers, as well as her music, I would guess that Lana liked to live for the moment. I believe she was happier when she was a small scale artist, and singing in clubs, because she had no long term commitments (like a record contract!). I believe she thought being famous and having a record contract would make her happier, but wonder if it really did? I think Lana loves her fans, and even making music and singing, but not having dozens of concert dates she has to perform at. (Remember when she broke down at her show and had to ask the audience to sing with/for her?)

Along with having contracts with things that she has to abide by, and her mystery illness, we must remember she is acting. Lana performed and released music as herself, Elizabeth "Lizzy" Grant for over 5 years. She went away and completely reinvented herself, which (coming from experience) can be extremely stressful and tiring. To add salt to the wound, she only gained popularity after reinventing herself. Mentally, this could make her feel her real self isn't good enough.



I really think we need to think about things compassionately rather than politically correct. Please can we support Lana after saying she was dead, rather than bash her for slightly 'romanticising' the death of young musicians. Comment below if you agree, I can't be the only one thinking this!

1 comment :

  1. Great insight to the situation! Lana has been battling a lot of demons for a really long time it seems and I really hope she can finally find happiness soon. She's had a rough life which everyone seems to write off because her parents were rich. It's a shame people can't see past that and just keep looking for fault even after she's proven herself and had a hit record... The media are vultures and looking at her situation I am so glad I have a normal life. I couldn't handle what she's going through and I think most sane people would crack under the pressure she's faced with everyday.

    ReplyDelete